Devon Link, USA TODAY
Published 1:17 p.m. ET May 28, 2020 | Updated 3:34 p.m. ET May 28, 2020
The claim: Actor and comedian Tim Allen wrote a viral conservative statement
A statement arguing a list of conservative views attributed to “Tim Allen” has recently resurfaced on Facebook.
“Tim Allen is credited with writing this … Here are some interesting points to think about prior to 2020, especially to my friends on the fence,” the post begins. “We are one election away from open borders, socialism, gun confiscation, and full-term abortion nationally. We are fighting evil,” it also says.
The statement, which argues conservative stances on immigration, voter ID laws and criticizes Democratic leaders, accompanies the actor’s photo and encourages others to copy, paste and share. The post also makes several false claims about the “Obamacare” website, Chelsea Clinton’s NBC salary and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s “Green New Deal.”
Attributed to the wrong Tim Allen
A jewelry technician from Virginia also named Tim Allen posted an identical statement Aug. 25, 2019. Allen from Virginia did not respond to USA TODAY’s request for comment.
“This statement was not written by my client, the actor Tim Allen,” Marleah Leslie, publicist for the “Last Man Standing” and “Home Improvement” actor, told USA TODAY Wednesday.
The viral statement also expresses adamant disapproval for 2016 presidential candidate Hilary Clinton that the actor has not shared in the past.
“I wake up every day and I am grateful that Hillary Clinton is not the president of the United States of America,” the post reads.
“I’ve met the Clintons and I think she’s a capable and wonderful choice,” Allen told Fox Business at President Donald Trump’s inauguration in 2017. “I was more concerned about the people she brought with her.”
Actor Tim Allen’s politics
In the sitcom, Allen plays a conservative husband and father to three daughters. Many interviewers have asked Allen whether he shared his politically incorrect character’s views.
“My politics are really irrelevant,” Allen told Entertainment Weekly in 2018.
Allen has commented on Hollywood’s dominant liberal and politically correct nature.
“If you don’t believe what everybody believes, this is like ’30s Germany,” Allen joked on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” in March 2017. “I’m not ignorant, but sometimes I play it.”
Allen endorsed and voiced a campaign ad for Republican presidential candidate John Kasich in 2016.
Allen was one of the few Hollywood stars to attend Trump’s inauguration.
“At one point, Trump said things that made sense to me,” Allen told Fox Business. “At some points, the Democrats didn’t, and that’s it.”
“I’m just watching the theater of it and trying to keep my personal opinions out of it,” Allen told Entertainment Weekly when asked whether he supported Trump. “My political party is that I’ve never liked taxes, period, so whatever that means.”
Our rating: False
We rate the claim that actor and comedian Tim Allen wrote a viral conservative statement FALSE because it is not supported by our research. The statement was posted by another man named Tim Allen and misattributed to the well-known actor.
Our fact-check sources:
- PolitiFact, “President Trump’s wall costs less than the ObamaCare website”
- Snopes, “Chelsea Clinton Made $900,000 Working for Her Parents”
- FactCheck.org, “‘Green New Deal’ Doesn’t Call for ‘End’ to Air Travel”
- FactCheck.org, “Conservative Rant Misattributed to Actor Tim Allen”
- PolitiFact, “Says actor Tim Allen wrote a lengthy anti-Democrat attack on Facebook”
- Truth or Fiction, “Tim Allen ‘Trump 2020 or America Is Dead’ Commentary”
- Snopes, “Did Comedian Tim Allen Write a Viral Facebook Attack on Democrats?”
- Tim Allen’s Facebook Post
- Fox Business, “Tim Allen: There are a lot of smart people in Trump’s cabinet”
- USA TODAY, “Tim Allen’s ‘Last Man Standing’ returns tonight, picks family politics over Trump”
- Entertainment Weekly, “Tim Allen gets candid about politics and Trump: ‘I’m kind of an anarchist'”
- Jimmy Kimmel Live, ” Tim Allen on Going to Donald Trump’s Inauguration”
- New Day for America, ” Learn more about John Kasich 0:02 / 0:30 New Ad: “Quiet” Featuring Actor Tim Allen”
- Fox News Insider, ” 0:02 / 5:54 Tim Allen: ‘I’m What They Call Fiscal Conservative'”
Thank you for supporting our journalism. You can subscribe to our print edition, ad-free app or electronic newspaper replica here.
Our fact check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/28/fact-check-actor-tim-allen-did-not-write-viral-conservative-statement/5269047002/